A castle from which the government is ruled a century later: "Vijesti" visits the presidential residence in Cetinje

The Blue Castle was built in 1895 for the needs of Crown Prince Danilo Petrović Njegoš, who did not live to see his accession to the throne.

The residence housed a gymnasium and a museum, and during the 90s the "Cetinje Biennial" was held.

The building is not in good condition, especially the roof, facade, wallpaper...

26500 views 47 reactions 8 comment(s)
Once the seat of a prince, today the head of state: Residence of the President of Montenegro in Cetinje, Photo: BORIS PEJOVIC
Once the seat of a prince, today the head of state: Residence of the President of Montenegro in Cetinje, Photo: BORIS PEJOVIC
Disclaimer: The translations are mostly done through AI translator and might not be 100% accurate.

During the period when Cetinje was the seat of the Montenegrin state, several palaces were built in the town at the foot of Lovćen for the ruling Petrović Njegoš dynasty. Although today they mostly house museums, one of them is still used for "government". Paradoxically - from the one from which it was not done in the past.

The Blue Castle, the current residence of the President of Montenegro, was built in 1895 for the son of Prince Nicholas, the Crown Prince Danila, who, due to the dethronement of the Petrović Njegoš dynasty, did not live to see his accession to the throne. Prince Danilo was not the only “user” of the Blue Castle - there was a gymnasium, a museum, and during the 90s the building also hosted the cultural event “Cetinj Biennial”.

The fact that the Blue Castle had multiple "owners" has resulted in the fact that its original interior has not been preserved today. Apart from the exterior of the building, only two mirrors located in the castle are authentic.

Although the building is now the residence of the head of state, it is not in good condition: the roof, facade, wallpaper in the rooms, balcony railings, and fountain in the courtyard - all need repair.

The residence is located between two parks - Njegošev Park and the "13th of July" Park, and has been used by presidents since 2010.

“Castle” for son

Historian Vukan Raznatović He told "Vijesti" that the foundation stone for the castle was laid on April 5, 1894, and that it was completed a year later. He recalls that the verses of Prince Nikola were carved on that stone: "Happy was this little castle/For my son Danilo/May the Lord send him His blessings from on high."

Ražnatović explains that at that time the growing family of the Montenegrin ruler needed more residences in Montenegro. He states that during the years of construction of the Blue Castle, various European craftsmen, carpenters, upholsterers, as well as European luxury furniture companies participated in the work.

He supervised all the work, says the interviewee, Marko Đukanović, one of the first Montenegrin engineers, manager of many architectural projects and future president of the State Council, while the workforce, he adds, was made up almost exclusively of Montenegrins.

Ražnatović says that the building was square in shape, with a ground floor, first floor and attic. The blue-gray facade, as it is today, was decorated with red columns topped with Corinthian capitals, while a balcony was located in the middle of the front facade.

"In terms of its functionality, it can be said to be reminiscent of the architecture of the Palace of King Nikola. However, richer decorations are noticeable, of which the Montenegrin coat of arms above the main entrance stands out. This is also confirmed by the staircase at the back of the building, which has a similar architectural design to that of the palace."

Coat of arms above the entrance door
Coat of arms above the entrance doorphoto: Boris Pejović

He explains that the interior of the castle was designed in accordance with the interior taste of the European aristocracy of the time. On the ground floor, he says, there was a reception hall and a fireplace, as well as rooms that served as accommodation for servants. The staircase, he says, led to the back exit, that is, to the garden, and to the upper floor, which was intended for the residence of Crown Prince Danilo and his wife. Militia - Jute (birth name Juta of Mecklenburg-Neuštrelitz, while after converting to Orthodoxy she was given the name Milica).

Back of the residence
Back of the residencephoto: Boris Pejović

"The prince and princess had their own bedrooms and their own salons, while Princess Milica also had her own toilet room. In addition to these private rooms, there was also a large salon, which had the function of welcoming high-ranking guests and larger gatherings," added Ražnatović, noting that, during the jubilee celebrations in 1910 (the coronation of Prince Nikola as king), when electricity was first supplied to Cetinje, the Blue Castle, along with the Royal Palace and the Government House, was among the first buildings to receive electricity in Montenegro.

Who used the building and how?

Ražnatović explains that Prince Danilo used the castle as his primary residence until the Austrian occupation of Montenegro in 1916, and that, upon the arrival of the Austro-Hungarian authorities, the Chief of Staff of the General Governorate moved into the building, only for the building and all its contents, as well as other property of the Petrović dynasty, to be confiscated after the Podgorica Assembly was held in 1918.

"The facility that was state-owned in the newly formed Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, or the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, needed to be given a new purpose. Thus, from 1918 to 1947, the former building of the Crown Prince housed the Cetinje High School," he recalled.

The castle's high school days are also testified to by a plaque on its front, which states that, under the leadership of the KPJ (Communist Party of Yugoslavia) and SKOJ (Union of Communist Youth of Yugoslavia), a student strike was launched in 1941 in response to the Italian occupation.

Memorial plaque to the student strike
Memorial plaque to the student strikephoto: Boris Pejović

After the war, a new high school building was built, where it is still located today, and the castle became a museum.

Ražnatović says that the building's purpose was changed soon after the Art Museum was founded in 1950. In a short period until the early 1960s, the historian points out, some of the most significant works of Montenegrin and Yugoslav art were housed in that building. However, since the interior was not suitable for displaying this type of museum material, the Art Museum, the interviewee recalls, moved to the Government House building, and in 1961 the building was declared a cultural asset in the category of secular architecture.

However, the Blue Castle became a museum again in 1971, and then, says Ražnatović, it housed the Museum of the National Liberation War (NOB), which was moved from the Billiards. He adds that this museum did not exist in the building for long either, because due to damage caused by the April 1979 earthquake, the exhibition was closed to visitors.

The interviewee states that during the war years of the 1990s, the castle once again found a new purpose as an exhibition venue - as a venue for the Cetinje Biennial. According to him, this was an attempt to bring together artists from the former Yugoslavia, as well as Europe and beyond, in Cetinje during a decade marked by war and division.

“It is particularly interesting that this biennial was initiated by Prince Nikola Petrović Njegoš, grandson of the heir to the throne's brother Mirka", so that the castle, although not returned to the ownership of the dynasty, was then again institutionally linked to the former Montenegrin ruling family. This is especially true for the continued living memory of the population of Cetinje, who often associate the castle with exhibitions from the Biennale," the historian points out.

That art project lasted until 2004, and then six years later the castle got a new "tenant" - the President of Montenegro.

Corrections needed

The courtyard of the building, where the head of state welcomes guests (ambassadors, foreign colleagues, domestic politicians...) and organizes receptions, is entered from the promenade. One of the first things that caught the eyes of the “Vijesti” reporters was the rusty roof of the castle. As you approach its entrance door, cracks in the facade and the ornaments that adorn it begin to become more clearly visible. Damage caused by moisture and mold are also visible on the facade.

Damaged ornament
Damaged ornamentphoto: Boris Pejović

The condition is not much better upon entering the castle - peeling wallpaper can be seen on the walls of several rooms, which greatly spoils the appearance of this important building.

Necessary repairs: peeling wallpaper in the hallway
Necessary repairs: peeling wallpaper in the hallwayphoto: Boris Pejović

The State Property Administration is responsible for all repairs, but "Vijesti" was not told whether they are planning to do so this year and if not, why not.

The ground floor consists of several rooms. The most "known" to the public is the press room, where the president's press conferences with his foreign colleagues are usually held during their official visits to Montenegro.

The ground floor also houses the so-called green salon, where ambassadors present their credentials to the president, but also where the introductory protocol part takes place during visits by heads of other states.

Green salon
Green salonphoto: Boris Pejović

From this room, one enters the “tête-à-tête” salon, where the president has private conversations with ambassadors and foreign statesmen. This salon, which overlooks the courtyard, was once a bedroom.

'Tet-a-tet' salon
"Tet-a-tet" salonphoto: Boris Pejović

On the ground floor there is also a room that could be called a waiting room. During the president's conversation with a foreign colleague, the visiting statesman's entourage stays there, and during the conversation with the ambassador, other foreign diplomatic representatives wait for their turn. The practice is that letters of credence are usually received for several ambassadors at once, but this number is never greater than four, because the president's office has four vehicles on which it is possible to display national flags.

Also, one room on the ground floor is reserved for police officers guarding the facility.

Decorated with pictures

The castle is decorated with paintings by famous Montenegrin artists - Petar Lubarda, Branko Filipović Fila, Milo Milunović, Aleksandar Prijić, Gojka Berkuljana, Mihailo Vukotić, Cvetka Lainović, Sava Radulović, Miloš Vušković, Dragan Karadžić and others. However, most of these works belong to the National Museum, and they were only lent to the residence for use.

One of the paintings - 'Bull' by Petar Lubarda, hung in the Ladies' Salon
One of the paintings - "Bull" by Petar Lubarda, hung in the Ladies' Salonphoto: Boris Pejović

According to the National Museum's estimate, the most expensive work of art is Lubarda's "Sutjeska", located in the "tet-a-tet" salon.

The most expensive work of art - "Sutjeska" by Petar Lubarda
The most expensive work of art - "Sutjeska" by Petar Lubardaphoto: Boris Pejović

Also, the castle houses gifts received by the current president and his predecessors.

One of the gifts
One of the giftsphoto: Boris Pejović

On the first floor of the castle there is the president's office, as well as his rest room. In the corridor between the two rooms is a framed national flag, which Montenegrin mountaineers have flown. Đorđije Vujičić, Dragutin Šlagi Vujović i Marko Blečić In 2010, they climbed the highest peak in the world - Mount Everest. It was the first time that mountaineers from Montenegro had conquered that peak, and for this they received the first medals for bravery in independent Montenegro.

President's office
President's officephoto: Boris Pejović

Next to the president's office is the ceremonial (white) salon, which also served that role when the crown prince resided there.

Formal lounge
Formal loungephoto: Boris Pejović

From this lounge you can exit to a large balcony, which overlooks one of the parks. The railing on the balcony terrace is rusty and needs repair.

The balcony railing also needs repair.
The balcony railing also needs repair.photo: Boris Pejović

The so-called ladies' salon, also on the first floor, was once used by the princess, and today it hosts meetings of the Senate of the capital. In the center of the ladies' salon is the painting "Montenegrin with a Rifle" by a Croatian artist. Vlaho BukovacSymbolically, it is above the front chair at the table where meetings are held - as if it is keeping watch.

'Montenegrin with a Rifle' by Vlaho Bukovac, set in a ladies' salon
"Montenegrin with a Rifle" by Vlaho Bukovac, located in a ladies' salonphoto: Boris Pejović

There is also a dining room and a café-kitchen on that floor. The head of state's office told the newspaper that efforts are being made to ensure that all guests of the residence are served Montenegrin products.

The last, second floor, was reserved for technical rooms and a warehouse. Originally, it was where the guards who guarded the prince lived.

The courtyard of the residence is used for receptions and press conferences, in the months when weather conditions permit. The most significant reception is the one traditionally organized by the president on the occasion of July 13, Statehood Day. The courtyard is decorated with a fountain that is not in use, but also the so-called friendship trees. Current President Jakov Milatovic Upon assuming office in the spring of 2023, he established the practice of planting a tree in the yard with colleagues who came to visit him.

Friendship trees
Friendship treesphoto: Boris Pejović

There used to be a swimming pool and a tennis court in the yard.

Vukan Ražnatović explains that the castle forms a horticultural whole with the Palace Park (today Njegoš Park) and the palace courtyard (near which the Museum of King Nikola is located).

"The courtyard itself was surrounded by a stone fence with guardhouses, and the most interesting element in it was the courtyard swimming pool, called the 'pond', and the tennis court," he states.

The "pond" has long since disappeared, but in its place today there is a green area with "friendship trees".

Italian prince one of the first guests

Ražnatović points out that, shortly after the completion of work on the building, plans were made for the engagement, or rather, the marriage of Princess Jelena to the Italian Crown Prince, the Prince of Naples. Viktor Emanuela.

"During the announcement of the engagement and the secret arrival of the Italian prince to Cetinje in 1896, he stayed at the Crown Prince's residence, so among the first guests of the facility was the future ruler of one of the great European powers," says the newspaper's interlocutor.

Schoolchildren arrive for a visit

In addition to foreign and domestic officials and journalists, school children should soon get to know the residence. As the Office of President Milatović told "Vijesti", they were considering the possibility of opening the residence to visitors, and therefore prepared a special program that will be aimed primarily at school groups.

"The implementation of this program is planned to begin this year, with clearly defined protocols and educational content adapted to the age of the students, bearing in mind that the residence is a protected facility under a permanent protection regime, which is the responsibility of the Police Directorate, whose current security protocols do not currently apply to the openness of the space to visitors, except for official activities...", they announced.

They add that a request has been sent to the State Property Administration, which is responsible for the current and capital maintenance of this facility, to repair key infrastructure deficiencies in the residence, in order to ensure conditions for its long-term, safe and responsible use.

They emphasize that certain preparations are required for the visits.

"In addition, the Office of the President has sent an initiative to the National Museum to develop an exhibition plan for the presentation of archival and photographic materials relating to the period after the opening of the Blue Castle at the end of the 19th century, when it served as the residence of Crown Prince Danilo and his wife Duchess Juta," the Office of the President said.

The aim of this initiative, according to them, is to present the history of the building, its original purpose and the broader context of Montenegrin state and cultural past in a professionally based and accessible manner. As they said, the intention is to further affirm the residence, while retaining its primary state and protocol functions, as a space for learning, and to bring its historical layers closer to both young people and other visitors who come to this space as part of the president's official activities.

Bonus video: